Monday, June 13, 2011

The Last Week

This is Leah's last week at home.  Saturday begins her journey to a new place.  She has packed all she can, loaded the car, said time and time again she can't believe it is time, and really is almost as excited as a 6 year old for Christmas. 

Hard to believe.  I'm excited for her.  Really, I am.  She needs this adventure.  This time to grow.  But I'm sad.  Sad that I don't have a houseful of kids, dogs, cats.  A life that needs tending to.  I mean, I do have a life, I am aware I do.  But you know what I mean.  Tonight is a prime example.  David is playing his new Xbox game he got.  I'm messing around on the computer. 

We had dinner guests tonight.  I seldom invite anyone over.   But on the occasion I do I'm always so glad to do it.  I have some secret thing where I like setting the table and showing off that I actually possess nice dishes, tablecloths, can really cook something beyond mac and cheese.

Anyway, we had friends over.  It was so nice.  We had a good visit.  Enjoyed getting to know each other better.  Now I need to do this more often.  Really I do.

Tonight as I sit here thinking over this day, I can't help but think of how grateful I am for so many things.  Peace, safety, comfort.

It is always so interesting to me how in life we often have those moments where our breath is taken away.  But some power moves us forward, we are able to do what needs to be done.  Over this last week that has been the case.  Again I am able to get out of bed, get dressed, and actually think.  So this night, I am grateful for comfort.  It comes in many forms.  Right now, for me, it comes in the form of peace that all will be well.  I can't think of it any other way.

No comments: