Monday, April 5, 2010

I am among the living

So on Saturday morning David had to be to work at 8.  I drove him over because we were having near blizzard conditions.  By the time I got home the wind and snow had blown so hard I couldn't tell where my foot prints were.  It snowed some yesterday and today it is snowing again.  About the only good thing about this is it won't last long.  The bad thing days are sort of warm, nights are sort of cold which makes for icy roads and sidewalks.  I don't want more broken bones.

I saw the doctor last week for my arm.  It has healed so well.  He said he can't even see where the break was.  I can leave off the brace, work my arm and will be just fine.  I am grateful.  My arm feels ok.  It is still a little swollen and I can't move it quite as well as I would like, but I keep chugging away so hopefully it gets better.  Leah keeps reminding me that I am old and so it will take a little longer.  Aren't daughters just great!!??

Nathan finally got a job.  He starts training in a few weeks.  He will be working in a call center in Idaho Falls where they take customer service calls on credit cards and other things.  He thinks it is going to be good.  He is so bummed because he was offered a job at Philmont, the scout camp in New Mexico.  He wants to work there so badly.  But when we figured out the cost of a plane ticket, buying all the stuff he needs for there he wouldn't come out making much money.  So he decided not to go, but he isn't terribly happy about it.

David continues to work hard.  He starts basketball for Special Olympics this week.  There are so many players that his team was split into three teams.  It is exciting so many more athletes are involved.  David has been nominated to take part in a Special Olympic thing in Lincoln, Nebraska this summer.  I can't remember what exactly.  I have paperwork to go through which I am doing today, so I will figure out exactly what it is and tell you later.

Leah continues to work hard in school.  She is just about half way thru so is beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel.  She is trying really hard to figure her life out.  It is much harder than she expected.  She is working on getting active in church, going to the temple.  As a family we have been reading and praying together which Leah says is helping her a lot.  No magic cures.  But many prayers that the Lord will work a miracle in her life. 

Anna, well, she continues to be Anna.  She is working like crazy to get through this last trimester of school.  She has finally decided she wants to try to get into college here and study Interior Design.  She said she has just been going back and forth, so she decided just to land on something and stop going over it and over it.   She is taking the ACT soon.  She found out if she gets a certain score she can get a good scholarship.  So we pray for the good score.

Months ago I was visiting with a friend.  She told me then that our families are our training ground.  It is the place where we become like God.  I can see that.  I don't like my children much these days.  I mean I love them couldn't imagine life without them and wouldn't want a single thing to happen to any of them.  But I would like to take a few and bash heads together.  Tell them that pride doesn't do any good and that really in the end so much of what they aren't doing might be a good thing to do. 

I can't do any of those things.  I can see that I want to control things I can't control.  I push too hard for things which aren't my battles.  I have to let go.  Let it be their struggle and let them deal with the consequences.  I don't like that much.  I am trying, really I am trying.  I can see that Heavenly Father feels much the same way about me.  Pride gets me nowhere, some battles are worth fighting, but much of what I think is so important isn't, I need to improve myself.  Ok, so I can see how this works.  I watch my own children, see what they are doing and often think Heavenly Father thinks much the same thoughts about me.  Only He is God and knows the beginning to the end.

I am going to scoot.  I have tons of things to do today.  So off into the snow/slush/grossness of this day.  Happy Monday!!!!  :)

No comments: