Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Tender Mercies

Elder David Bednar spoke of the Lord's tender mercies in May, 2005  ." Since last October I have reflected repeatedly upon the phrase “the tender mercies of the Lord.” Through personal study, observation, pondering, and prayer, I believe I have come to better understand that the Lord’s tender mercies are the very personal and individualized blessings, strength, protection, assurances, guidance, loving-kindnesses, consolation, support, and spiritual gifts which we receive from and because of and through the Lord Jesus Christ."

As I read this I think about life in my world.  This last week the Lord has extended his tender mercies to me and my family.  David made plans to go to Boise for a Boise State football game.  He had his friend get him a ticket, got the time off from work, then came to me telling me he was going.  It hit on an in between week for us.  I spent nearly two weeks trying to figure out how I was going to get David to Boise.  Last Monday David and Nathan were walking our dog in our apartment complex.  They ran into a couple of guys from our ward.  David mentioned he was going to the football game but didn't know how he was getting to Boise because the shuttle would cost a fortune.  The guys told David they were going over to the game as well and David was welcome to travel with them.

On Friday morning the guy who was driving called to let David know what time to meet up.  David told him that we were waiting for Nathan's paycheck which wouldn't be available to us until late afternoon.  The guy told David not to worry, he was their guest and they would take care of things.  Sooooo my sweet David got to go to Boise to the football game.  He was treated like royalty, no one made mention of the expense of an extra person and David was told to not worry about paying anyone back.  He kept telling me all of last week that he had been praying and things were going to work out.

As Leah and I were out running a bit this evening we ran over to the church.  I wanted to see when I could meet with our bishop.  He happened to be just getting there, so he had a few minutes.  I just wanted to ask one brief question.  We talked for about 10 minutes, he gave me an answer and I was off.  As Leah and I drove away we talked about our bishop.  You know, when the kids and I first started talking about moving to town it was right after Steffen died.  It wasn't time.  When we got home from Grandma's funeral this winter things came together like crazy.  The Lord knew we needed a change, we needed to be in town, we needed to be in this ward, this bishop is suppose to be our bishop.  Another of those tender mercies.  I am grateful.

Life is moving right along.  Leah is nearly done with school.  I think she will finish right before Thanksgiving.  Anna is sick over her classes.  She is taking a pre-Calculus class which is kicking her behind.  She hates the teacher, so therefore she hates the class, school, asked if she could drop out and get her GED which she was promptly told "NOPE".  Nathan is finally working.  He is doing some adult education classes so he can start school in January.  He got a letter in the mail yesterday saying he has been accepted into the Surgical Tech program at the technical college.  I'm so excited for him.  He met with our bishop on Sunday and has somethings to work on, but is trying to move forward.  I continue to pray he will figure things out.  David, well, he continues to work hard.  He is thrilled the Chiefs are 3-0, is glad this week is a bye, knows they will be in trouble next week.  He went to the pizza shop lastnight to watch Monday Night Football.  He stayed for the entire game.  I'm thinking the pizza shop guys were glad when he left.

There is much to be grateful for today.  Warm sunshine, good friends, my kids, a good bishop, a loving Heavenly Father who blesses me daily.  I hope there are things to be grateful for in your world. :0)

No comments: