Saturday, November 6, 2010

Tragedy Strikes Twice

Hard to believe but tragedy did strike twice in Rexburg in a matter of a few months.  On Thursday afternoon a beautiful blond haired 2 year old girl was run over by a pickup truck.  She was sent to Primary Children's Medical Center.  She died yesterday morning.

What brings this close to home for me....her dad is Steffen's doctor.  See Steffen and Steve had known each other for years.  Steve's dad was my kids doctor from the time we came to Rexburg.  Steffen and Steve worked together while Steve was in high school.  Steffen was a cook, Steve the dishwasher.  Steve went on a mission, came home and married his high school sweetheart.  Her parents were our neighbors in the country.  So when Steve and Brandi came home during holidays he and Steffen would touch base.

Steve and Brandi had just moved back to Rexburg when Steffen got sick.  Steve was waiting for an Idaho license.  Steffen was Steve's first patient.  Steve took very good care of a very difficult patient for over a year.  He came the day Steffen died and was even a pallbearer at the funeral.

On Thursday Brandi had taken her children to McDonald's.  She was leaving, it was lunchtime, the place was busy.  The drive thru lane is right along the edge of the building where people have to go in and out.  Little Juliet was behind her mom, a driver didn't see her, Juliet was run over.  She was sent to the Rexburg Hospital, then to Idaho Falls where she had to stabilized before she could be sent to Salt Lake.  She had surgery in Salt Lake, but died from her injuries.

My heart aches for Steve and Brandi and their family.  I cannot even begin to imagine how they feel, what's going through their minds.  But as much as my heart aches for them, it also aches for the man who drove that truck.  I'm certain he did not wake up Thursday morning wondering what 2 year old he could run over.  I pray for both families. 

I am on a short leave from school.  It is probably for just 2 weeks, but depending it might be longer.  Today is the end of the first week. 

Nathan is severely depressed.  He has been for weeks, but at the beginning of this week told me that he didn't feel like anyone would care that he wasn't here.  We have talked and talked.  His siblings have talked to him.  Our home teacher came to get him and took him out.  Several guys from the ward have talked to him.  He has had a few good days, which I'm so grateful for.  So I need to be a mom.  I have admit I'm enjoying to break.  But I wish it were for different reasons.

Last night as Nathan and I talked we went over the people who come into our lives who aren't the best people to have in them.  A lot of us meet people who we think are just "right" but really they don't care about us or they have enough of their own problems they can't care.  I've known a few in my life.  It hurts, but somehow you manage to move on.

I am so hopeful Nathan finds his way.   There is so little I can do.  I hate it.   I want to solve the worlds problems and make things good for everyone.  Darn that magic wand that doesn't work these days.

I have to admit I am looking forward to Thanksgiving.  While it is my favortie holiday, I'm looking forward to it because it means this first trimester is over for Anna and she won't have Calculus.  HURRAY!!!  I hate the class and I've never even taken it. 

On Thursday I had to take Anna for a breathing test.  Her asthma is causing a lot of trouble.  She has been using allergy meds and an inhaler, but still can't breath.  I'm hoping Monday we get results from it.  I read some random thing on CNN about a 20 year old girl who had lung cancer.  She had a lot of the symptoms that Anna has.  Of course, it scared me.  Then as Anna and I talked about it she kept telling me to shut up.  She didn't want to hear about it.  I know she doesn't have lung cancer, but it was a little weird.

David is gearing up for BLACK FRIDAY!!!  The weirdest kid ever, he's mad because he has to work a closing shift that day instead of an early morning shift.  Of course, just what I like.....having to get him to work at 4:00 AM.......gosh having to get him there at 3 PM might cause problems with my sleep schedule.  Darn kid. 

Well....I saved this for last for a special reason.  I know, it is a mean thing to do, but you have to realize that there are people who keep track of my family on a regular basis.  There isn't any reason for one particular group to, but they do.....it just makes me laugh.....so this is for them.......

Leah did meet a boy.  He's nice.  He even likes Leah.  He also likes Smallville, ESPN, Boise State football (was totally jealous over David's BSU tennis shoes), and likes to play Xbox.  (Anna and I decided maybe he should like  David instead).  Anyway, who knows where the journey will take them......but for now it is a sweet place to be.

I have to run.  I have a few things to do.  Happy Saturday Night!!!!

No comments: